· No clear idea of what to do. If you are not sure what to do, ask yourself how you can find out what action you should take. For instance, has someone else performed the task? Can you ask that person for guidance? Are there directions for performing the task that you can access? Can you research an answer? Can you brainstorm with others or have someone train you?
· The size of the task is overwhelming. Break tasks into manageable pieces and take small bits of action. Work on one part of the task at a time. Whenever you have a spare few minutes, do something that brings you closer to your goal of completing the task. If possible, delegate portions of the task or else have someone work with you.
· No clear priorities. Decide what you want to accomplish. Write down your goals. Create a to-do list and prioritize it. Create a plan of action complete with the steps you can take to perform each task. Ask for guidance when needed.
· Too much to do. Get organized and learn to manage your time well. Forget about pleasing everyone; learn to say no. Align your to-do-list tasks with your priorities. Concentrate on the most important work first. Combine like tasks. Eliminate unnecessary tasks. Attempt less. Avoid perfectionism. Know when you are in over your head, and ask for help when you need it.
· Distractions. Eliminate as many distractions as you can by closing your door, turning off the radio or television, regulating the temperature, getting comfortable, and the like. Temporarily turn off the phone, email alerts, and social media sites. Avoid situations where you will be tempted to socialize whenever you do not have the time to spare. When people drop by to talk, tactfully tell them you have to complete your tasks and will talk with them during break. Discourage socializing by continuing to work and not making eye contact or engaging in the conversation. Stand up when someone comes into your office, or else meet visitors outside your office. Be unavailable.
· Indecision. Do your research; get the facts. Brainstorm ideas. Consult others if necessary. Weigh the risks and consequences of possible decisions. Implement the decision. Learn from any negative consequences of your decision. Re-evaluate the decision and change what needs to be changed.