Winter is ending. I can honestly say I am happy to see spring coming. Many people get the urge at this time of year to do spring cleaning and clear out the old clutter. Now might be a good time to do some professional spring cleaning, too, and get your career in shape for spring. It seems a good time to reflect on ways we can grow and spring forward in the workplace.
Consider the following tips:
- Sit down with your supervisor and discuss ways you can become more of an asset to your company.
- Ask for feedback on your performance; do not take criticism personally, but rather use it to grow professionally.
- Think about ways you can positively set yourself apart from coworkers by performing your tasks more efficiently and offering positive solutions to problems.
- Be professional at all times.
- Update your skills; develop a professional development plan.
- Look for ways you can add value to your company by saving money or time or by increasing profits or productivity.
- Keep up with industry news and developments in your field.
- Take a class or attend a seminar.
- Find ways to get along with everyone in the office, including those hard-to-deal-with coworkers.
- Strive for perfect attendance and punctuality.
- Display a positive attitude.
Spring is a great time to refresh your career.