· Create your goals. What are your hopes and dreams for the new year? Goals must be something you really want and are able to attain or you are setting yourself up for defeat. State the goals in specific terms. Write down the goals. People who write goals are more likely to achieve them.
· Break the goals down into specific steps. Large, time-consuming tasks are daunting. It’s easier to work on goals when you can take them a step at a time.
· Create an action plan so you know where you must focus your energy to attain the goals. Take the steps you’ve listed for attaining your goals and develop an action plan for completing each of them. What is the first thing you will do? What comes next? Take your personal strengths and preferences into consideration.
· Create a timetable for reaching the goals. By creating a timeline and setting a deadline, you will be able to determine if you are on target to reach the goals.
· Create a daily to-do-list and copy the steps from your action plan onto it. Prioritize and work your way through the list.
· Determine how you will hold yourself accountable for reaching the goals. Who will you tell about the goals? How will you motivate yourself? What will you do if you fall short? Don’t let setbacks keep you from achieving your goals.
· Be positive and flexible.
· Assess how you are doing periodically regarding the achievement of the goals.
· Change what is not working.
It’s a fact that people who set goals achieve more. Why not give yourself all the breaks you can get in 2016? With set goals and enough of the right action, you can achieve your dreams.