Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Meet Deadlines

Since it is tax day, I thought I would give some tips for meeting deadlines. One of the biggest obstacles to meeting deadlines is procrastination. It is one thing to know you have to do something, but it is another thing entirely to motivate yourself to do it. If you are not passionate about doing the task (and I assume you are not passionate about doing your taxes), you will have a difficult finishing the task on deadline.

Here are questions to ask yourself when you have a deadline looming:
  • Can I break down this task into smaller parts?
  • What will I gain by putting off this task?
  • What will I gain by completing this task?
  • What will happen if I miss the deadline for this task?
  • What would make me take action on this task?
  • What one step can I take to start this task? (Oftentimes getting started is the hardest step.)
  • Can anyone help me with the task? (If so, solicit his or her help.)
  • Can anyone else cheer me on?
  • How will I feel when this task is completed?
Actions to take include:
  • Find a reason to get excited about doing the task. (This can even be as simple as rewarding yourself in some way when the task is completed.)
  • Create a to-do list and set priorities.
  • Schedule important work first.
  • Take a step toward completing the task and then take another one.
  • Focus on one task at a time.
  • Eliminate distractions.
  • Hold yourself accountable.
  • Do something; get started.
  • Find a way to push yourself to complete the task.

No comments: