- Assess where you are at the moment in your career--are you satisfied in your position or do you want to move up or move out?
- Assess your skills and education as needed to advance in your position or to change careers.
- Research applicable positions and companies.
- Set specific goals that will lead you to your career desires.
- Keep a positive attitude with regard to attaining your goals.
- Take charge and do something to move yourself toward your goals--sign up for a class, send out resumes, research companies, network, schedule interviews, and so forth
- Assess your progress and make adjustments when necessary.
With planning and action, you have a good chance to reach your goals.